Come and be inspired – A garden tour for groups & individuals
A Tour of Spurtopia Homestead – A sustainable paradise
Winner of 2019 & 2020 Regional garden competition: Best Edible Garden & Best Water Wise Garden
C.A.N Award 2015 Environment & Sustainability
Tour around the property
- Creating an ecosystem: Permaculture principals applied in practice
- Food production: Kitchen garden (wicking garden beds, self-watering herb spiral, energizing mandala pyramid, DIY: Self-watering planters, vegetable garden, orchard and food forest, a native patch)
- Water harvesting systems: Rainwater, grey and black water as well as run-off water harvesting
- Medicinal herbs and edible weeds
- Worm farming, chickens and honeybees
- Solar systems: Hot water, electricity, cooking
- Zero waste systems: Composting, reusing, recycling
Show and Tell sharing practical and inexpensive ideas for sustainable living (how to make wicking pot, self-watering planter box, deter possums, fruit fly trap, citrus fabric softener, toothpaste, hair conditioner, laundry detergent, surface cleaner, cockroach trap, solar oven) including recipes.
Morning Tea: tea, coffee, home-baked cakes. Plenty of home produce to taste: sourdough bread, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut, mustard, honey, homebrew beer, ginger beer, mead. Some produce will be available for purchase.
Screening of Spurtopia documentary – 15-minute inspirational video about the sustainable lifestyle of our family
Duration: Approx. 2-4 hours
Spurtopia Homestead in Fernvale, QLD
Thank you for being a great source of inspiration to us and many others.
Thank you for such a great insight into your awesome well established garden (Spurtopia). You’re definitely doing a great job and amazed me with some of your ideas and knowledge as the garden not only features recycled product but also delivers a whole new word to ( green living )…From the water tank heating system right through to the plant growing techniques and even walking out the driveway upon leaving I was still shocked how much you have saved. Thank you for both yourself and Jana’s hospitality and welcoming me into your world.
Firstly, I would like to say how much I love your story and lifestyle tips. I have found it all very inspirational. I have started by vegie garden using broccoli boxes and an old laundry tub. I have planted snow peas, zucchini, tomato and eggplant which all seem to be doing well. When I saw your story on Gardening Australia last year with Jerry it changed my life. I have so much to learn!!!!